Non-profit organizations nowadays represent particularly interesting realities, even if they are not yet directly involved in the development of digital marketing strategies.
It is important to underline how digital strategic planning for non-profit organizations is becoming increasingly necessary to allow these companies to remain competitive on the market.
In fact, thanks to digital marketing, non-profit organizations have the opportunity to expand their pool of supporters and ensure that their mission and their goals are perceived and achieved by a higher number of people.
This is why, in fact, doing digital marketing for non-profit organizations allows these realities to create greater awareness among people and consequently to reach particularly significant quantitative objectives.
If for goods or services companies, introducing digital marketing strategies has become a prerogative for survival, also for non-profit organizations it is becoming increasingly important to develop a digital marketing strategy.
These integrated online strategies also make it possible to find new possible supporters, who, if managed wisely, can become real ambassadors.
The level of digitization for the non-profit sector is not yet as developed in the Italian market, even if it still has really interesting growth margins.
Thanks to the support of the web and social networks, these non-profit organizations can in fact benefit from direct access to the market, the possibility of making themselves known and thus exponentially increasing the possibilities of obtaining donations from supporters.
While it is true that the opportunities that digital offers to this field are particularly important, it is also true that it is a very particular and delicate topic.
While on one hand the donor feels more and more inclined to make donations, on the other hand, it becomes increasingly important for non-profit organizations to plan and organize the implementation of these projects wisely.
The benefits that digital marketing brings to non-profit organizations
We have seen that for the non-profit field, in fact, the digital transformation process offers significant opportunities.
This is why it’s very important that non-profit organizations are also up to date with change and to do so it is appropriate to revolutionize the dynamics within the organization and offer innovative, efficient and high-impact services for potential supporters.
It is clear that a digital transformation path for non-profit organizations is not a simple and immediate procedure, but it is a path that requires time and, above all, the support of professionals to be optimized. This is why it’s very important to grasp and understand the actual benefits of this change.
Only if you are well aware of the possible benefits is it possible to begin this transformation and implement the strategy correctly.
How to implement a digital marketing strategy for non-profit organizations
To implement a digital marketing strategy for the non-profit sector, it is very important to think about several things.
To ensure that these strategies are effective, it is advisable to implement a complete and integrated strategy within the business.
- Understanding the importance of change. In this sense, in fact, there must be courageous and far-sighted people able to understand and seize the opportunities that marketing for non-profit can offer to business. Only if the importance of digital is understood for this field as well, it is possible to successfully complete this strategy.
- Focus on innovation. Indeed, thanks to innovation it is possible to experiment with new forms of fundraising and communication. Digital innovation for non-profit organizations represents a huge opportunity for qualitative and quantitative growth on the market.
- Contacting a team of experts and professionals in the field is not a prerogative but it certainly represents a great opportunity for the success of your mission. The experience and familiarity gained over time by industry experts is of great help for your project’s success in a fairly reasonable time.
- It is important not to forget the nature of your business.
Always remember that digital marketing strategies represent a support for change. In fact, in a particular field such as the non-profit, it is very important to start from the goals, culture and mission of the sector. Only this way it will be possible to embrace change and achieve positive results.
In the implementation phase of the strategies it is always very important to treat the topics with a certain sensitivity and ethics. Marketing strategies are an excellent support in spreading your mission.
To summarize in a sector such as the non-profit one it is therefore very important:
- Starting from one’s mission, from what are the goals and the way in which digital marketing can help achieve and improve them.
- Take into account all possible forms of digital innovation
- Make sure your digital revolution is sustainable, especially from a social point of view.
The most effective digital marketing tools for non-profit organizations
The tools available for implementing a marketing strategy for the non-profit sector are different.
Some of these are the same that are used for commercial companies, others are specific strategies that are used for the non-profit field.
Among the specific digital marketing strategies for non-profit organizations we find for example Google AdGrant, which offers the possibility of stipulating advertising campaigns on search engines.
What is Google Ad Grants
In this regard, Google AdGrants, a programmatic advertising service, offered by Google, which offers the possibility of stipulating a specific and specific campaign for NPOs.
Every month, Google makes 10 thousand dollars available to non-profit organizations – just over 9 thousand euros to invest in programmatic advertising on Google.
Google therefore allows you to launch effective and targeted promotional campaigns thanks to the ability to create specific advertising content for the sector.
The advantages of a non-profit campaign created with Google AdGrants are mainly linked to the fact that they allow you to get more visibility, more donations but also more volunteers.
Choosing the specific target allows you to directly involve those who are more inclined to this type of initiative and to convert them into donors.
Thanks to this type of intervention, the benefits are wide-ranging and are not limited only to a greater number of donations.
The Google AdGrants system also facilitates the process for donating potential supporters. Making the donation process very clear and simplifying the process makes users more likely to do so.
To obtain particularly effective results, the monitoring phase of the results should not be underestimated. The analysis of the results is very important because it allows you to intervene to correct any deviations from the objectives and to implement more or less other strategies.
How to make an effective Google Grants campaign
Creating a Google Grants campaign is not always so simple and, above all, immediate.
In fact, the risk of carrying out an ineffective campaign is very high.
This is why, when planning a Google AdGrant campaign, it is very important to define the campaign methodically and in detail.
The implementation of these social media marketing campaigns is in fact very important for many third sector companies that should precisely go and develop these strategies to better strengthen their mission.
First of all, to reach the ideal target and help your users find exactly what they are looking for, it is very important to pay attention to ads creation.
- Choose your keywords carefully. In fact, these should reflect the main mission of the non-profit organization and also be relevant to the individual customer’s offer.
- Therefore it is advisable not to use keywords that are too general and one-word keywords
- Prefer quality keywords.
Furthermore, according to the new rules introduced by Google, proper management of Google Grants accounts should also take other aspects into consideration.
- The Google Grants account should achieve and maintain an average monthly CTR (Click Through Rate) of 5%
- Specific geographic targeting must be identified for each campaign
- Discard those keywords with a quality score below 2.
- You need two ad groups per campaign that contain closely related keywords.
- Ads should focus primarily on text
- It is very important to constantly monitor and make changes to the account on a frequent basis.
- When setting up the landing page it is better not to link the home page. Rather, it is advisable to link to the page that is most consistent with the content of the ad.
- If significant revenues are obtained from these Google AdGrant activities, it is necessary to allocate them entirely to the development of the activities.
Undoubtedly, being able to maintain a CTR of 5% is not so easy, also because often the members of a non-profit organization do not have the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out such a campaign in a truly effective way.
Furthermore, to keep these CTRs high it is at the same time very important to have websites that are optimized from both a technical and a graphic point of view.
This therefore implies the presence of well-constructed pages, in fact these are also crucial for verifying the relevance between the ad, the keyword used and the reference page.
Mistakes to avoid when planning and implementing a Google Grants campaign
Following the new regulations for the use of Google Grants, it is very important to obtain concrete results and to be able to demonstrate that you know how to manage it effectively and correctly.
To be able to correctly manage all these aspects it is necessary to have knowledge and skills in the field of communication and marketing to avoid encountering errors, often even trivial, due precisely to the lack of experience that can then have very important repercussions in the activity as a whole.
For good management it is very important to:
- Set all parameters correctly
- Divide your budget equally between your various campaigns, keywords and ad groups
- Do a detailed and thorough research of the keywords to use
- Set up tracking for conversions, it’s a very important action to better understand what is happening
- Keep track of the results of the various campaigns. Using the Google software, Google Analytics to carry out this type of analysis will turn out very useful.
The effective management of these activities also depends on the quality and optimization of the landing page. This means that it is very important to pay attention to the structure and quality of the referring website.
In the next paragraph we will discover the techniques to optimize a web page for non-profit organizations.
Use SEO to optimize the activities of non-profit organizations
Positioning on search engines is very important for the non-profit organizations themselves; in fact, if a website of a non-profit organization is indexed it is much easier to find by those who make these requests.
Thanks to SEO techniques it is possible to improve the visibility of the site on search engines. To do this it is possible to intervene at both a technical and graphic level.
To be able to carry out these activities effectively and completely, it is very important not to lose sight of the user and therefore the site should also retain the characteristic of being user friendly.
Surely to be able to effectively implement these aspects, the support and professionalism offered by sector experts is very useful.
It is a fact that non-profit organizations, as well as many other realities In Italy, do not invest much in their digitization process. Digital innovation also represents a very important opportunity for the development and success of business for non-profit organizations.
In this sense, in addition to promotional activities such as Google Grants, it is possible to intervene in this digitization process through other ways.
One of these is certainly represented by SEO activities, or Search Engine Optimization, and therefore the set of activities implemented to allow your website to obtain a good ranking on social media.
Even for a non-profit organization it can be very useful to obtain a good SEO ranking. In fact, these activities are an excellent opportunity to gain greater visibility on search engines and consequently increase the number of contacts and above all the possible conversions of users from simple users to new volunteers or donors.
The importance and opportunity of digital innovation for companies in this field is also linked, above all, to the fact that if the large non-profit organizations, certainly much better known on the national and international scene, benefit from a certain notoriety in the market, for small realities is much more difficult to emerge.
That’s why SEO strategies are important if not fundamental for the small businesses, that are very common in Italy.
To do this, therefore, it is very important to implement a free SEO campaign in your strategic plan , that generates significant benefits.
If you already have them on a site or on social channels, revisiting them from a SEO perspective is certainly one of the most important things to take into consideration.
Since everyone agrees that it is very important to optimize a site, let’s see in more detail what steps to take into account for improvement.
- Starting from the reference context, analyzing both the proposals and the positioning of the competitors.
In this regard, it is very important to try to analyze their websites to understand more accurately how they position themselves on the market. With this analysis it is possible to identify the opportunities and threats of the market and of the main competitors. These considerations will then be very useful for outlining the essential characteristics of the market and thus defining in more detail one’s objectives and action strategy.
- Internal analysis through the study of strengths and weaknesses. This analysis, together with the previous one, is very important because it helps to effectively define one’s goals and strategy, thus trying to focus, for example, on opportunities by leveraging and exploiting strengths.
- Before starting, start with an analysis of the traffic on your website. To do this there are many free software. Google Analytics is the most used platform, and allows you to constantly monitor total visits, organic visits, landing pages and above all user interaction by acquisition channel.
- Analysis of keywords and their positioning on search engines. The analysis of keywords is very important because, thanks to the use of special software such as Ubersuggest, it is possible to trace even the most sought after and competitive keywords for the non-profit sector. The overview of current positions is very important because it allows you to define more specifically the objectives to be achieved.
- In fact, the initial analysis is very useful for defining the goals to be achieved in the most concrete and detailed way possible. Proceeding by step actually helps a lot to take into consideration the phases and steps to be put into practice for the satisfaction of one’s goals.
- After defining these main and general aspects, it is also possible to proceed with the realization of a real SEO campaign for the improvement of one’s positioning on the web and therefore increase the possibility of obtaining positive results. Goals in general should be achievable goals.
In this regard, it is very useful to specify that even if it is a non-profit sector, we must not look at marketing activities as a threat, but it is necessary to look at them as a real opportunity. A real opportunity to succeed with simple strategies to obtain very effective results.
After defining the main aspects, you can proceed with SEO optimization. The implementation of an SEO campaign also for non-profit organizations provides for the optimization of the website for SEO purposes.
The SEO activities are also characterized by activities that can be carried out both on-page and off-page.
The on-page optimization activities correspond to the SEO strategies that must be carried out internally. This phase includes, for example: technical and graphic optimization of the website, effective quality content marketing activities for SEO purposes (blogs, information pages, descriptions).
On the other hand, off-page optimization corresponds to all those factors external to the site and which depend on the behaviour of users on the web.
This means making or not making major changes to the website. This means making sure you have an optimized website not only from a technical point of view but also optimized and formatted from a content point of view.
Here, for example, it can be very useful to search and ask for collaborations with bloggers or with industry experts, with whom it is possible to create particularly effective collaborations.
The development of digital strategies for non-profit organizations does not stop there. To be very effective it is also very important to consider the development of social media marketing strategies.
Non-Profit Digital Communication: the Strategy You Are Looking For
Data speak for themselves, the number of supporters of some charitable organizations over the years have increased exponentially thanks to greater attention to non-profit digital communication and non-profit marketing.
Even though the ultimate goal of the third sector is clearly different from that of other commercial activities for profit and business purposes, a charity can still use non-profit digital communication strategies similar to a company.
Non-profit organizations and voluntary associations also have their own target to reach, both potential supporters of the cause, but not only, even new volunteers.
Non-profit organizations and associations are increasingly involved in Corporate Social Responsibility projects and more generally for social issues.
Non-profit digital communication and non-profit marketing activities tend to have three main objectives:
- Gaining Supporters: social networks are now a place where almost everyone tends to interact in a more natural way, since it is possible to find different kinds of users.
But social media are also a double-faced medal, in fact here it is easier to meet the so-called “slack Activists”, that is, couch activists who participate in causes but from home with a click. Clearly this type of contribution is also important, especially in terms of visibility and virality.
- Increase donations: Greater visibility also passes through visibility. In fact, greater visibility, for example the possibility of reaching profiled and targeted targets so that they can be really interested is a point in favour for the Onlus.
- Networking: networking for the third sector has always been essential for expansion and survival. The ability to work with several different subjects also helps growth.
So the non-profit digital communication and non-profit marketing strategies are still the same both for charity organizations that want to optimize their online presence and generate new leads and therefore possible donors.
It is necessary to establish generic and specific objectives to be obtained from perpetuated non-profit digital communication strategies.
These decisions must be taken considering the decision to consequently orient future actions, outlining both a plan and choosing the platforms on which to operate, taking into account a constant presence on all channels is certainly a winning strategy, greater virality allows you to meet more easily to your target.
Storytelling: In the No Profit Digital Communication Strategy
A fundamental factor regarding a good non-profit digital communication strategy is certainly constancy: each strategy must be planned in the medium-long term, for example by developing an accurate and precise editorial calendar.
Non-profit digital communication requires the stories, actions and programs of the NPO to be told, and they have to be explained and told without losing sight of the human factor.
The best communication strategy is to tell stories and, as companies teach, digital environments are the best place to show your work and your face, also engaging in conversations with your customers.
Non-profit organizations must also begin to exploit and take advantage of digital communication channels on which to implement a non-profit marketing strategy, towards their interlocutors, this opportunity allows them to give a human face to the non-profit organization.
Non-Profit Associations should use their own digital communication channels to tell, for example, the daily life of the NPO, but not only that, for example also that of all those people involved, volunteers and not, in its daily activities and during the projects.
For effective non-profit digital communication, the advice is to focus on emotions. For example when sharing video or image content.
This is because the public generally needs to feel directly involved and to participate.
In fact, those who are directly involved are in fact more inclined to donate, by being able to observe the result or the work in progress or the daily activities of the charity, the leads feel closer to the action of the non-profit organization.
We can therefore say that the fundamental step for non-profit organizations in a marketing strategy is to tell stories, using a language that involves and produces change.
This is exactly where storytelling comes into play, this allows the creation of a story both through the use of images and words around the non-profit organization and the figures who work directly or are related to it.
The web is a dynamic, participatory, flexible environment, a fertile ground for any activity, including non-profit.
The connection of one’s community must take place through storytelling, a means that requires integration between the different channels that are used.
Certainly contents are important in a non-profit digital communication strategy, but equally important in cross-channel strategies are all those analytical technical aspects of marketing, such as SEO, SEM and ROI that allows you to understand the real impact of shared content on the various channels .
Digital Transformation creates an environment that evolves rapidly and continuously, always offering new ideas and opportunities.
A planning phase in a broader non-profit digital communication strategy and non-profit marketing can make use of digital tools for an intervention also as regards, for example, the fundraising phase, for example by expanding the array of supporters.
More and more non-profit organizations are approaching the world of internet and web marketing with increasing interest.
The points in favour of the network are the increasingly dynamism, flexibility and participation, non-profit marketing and non-profit digital communication are those tools that serve to increase the involvement of users, leads and potential donors and their interest.
The non-profit organizations themselves are understanding, without external impulses, how marketing can be a channel for enhancing the relationships that a non-profit association needs.
A web marketing consultancy from experts in the sector is therefore important for non-profit organizations. We could identify two reasons that should push non-profit organizations to choose a non-profit digital communication strategy:
- Many non-profit organizations believe that thanks to their notoriety, they are able without particular commitment to attract donors and volunteers. Nothing could be more wrong.
- Before buying, but also before donating, people seek information about who or what they are approaching. Therefore, the user will search for information and news on the non-profit, regardless of the prestige of the association.
Therefore, starting a non-profit digital communication strategy is important, it must be able to transmit all the values of the non-profit organization through the means of the internet.